Are you about to set an audacious goal? Or, maybe you’re working towards one now? Either way, one thing’s for certain, you will encounter doubt at some point along your journey. When the doubt comes, it’s helpful to have some effective tools to counter the detrimental effects, so it doesn’t derail you from realizing your goal. In this episode I share three of my favorite thought tools for doing just that.
- If you’re moving toward a goal or a dream that is well outside of your current experience you’re going to encounter doubt.
- There will be times when you want to stop, turn around, and go back.
- Since the human experience is ultimately about growth, expansion, and development, living outside of our comfort zones is important. This is often easier said than done.
- When we lean into fear, uncertainty, and the unknown, we grow as human beings.
Here are three of my favorite ideas for dealing with doubt:
- Remember your why: When doubt creeps in, remember your why. Before you embark on your journey, write down why you’re doing it and keep this list nearby. When you become aware of new why’s, write those down as well. Use your why’s to fuel you when you encounter doubt. Don’t forget about the ultimate why, which is the development of our soul. This is the underlying purpose of why we’re here. To take control of the mind and do the thing we fear despite doubt, anxiety, and worry.
- Pleasure and pain: This potent cocktail will motivate you to push through doubt like nothing else. Write down the unwanted experiences you will have if you don’t realize your goal (i.e. the pain you will encounter). Also, write down the pleasure you will experience if you do realize your goal. Review these lists when you experience doubt.
- You are enough: When you find yourself experiencing self-doubt, remind yourself that you are enough. You are worthy and deserving of setting and ultimately realizing your goal. Only you can decide whether you are worthy or not. And doing so simply involves a shift in thinking.
Bonus idea: Doubt often occurs when we’re focusing too much on the outcome and not enough on the process itself. It can also happen when we’re comparing where we’re at with where we think we should be. To counter this thinking, focus on doing the best you can in the present moment. This will leave no room for doubt to get a foothold in your consciousness. Focus on the steps you are taking right now, and don’t focus on where you think you should be.
One Sentence Summary:
Be prepared (with thought tools) for the doubt that will inevitably come as you move toward your audacious goal.
Quote of the Week:
Because doubt is such a menace in the quest for enhancing the human experience, this week I’m sharing 10 of my favorite quotes on doubt:
Doubt can only be removed by action.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever did.” ~ Unknown
If you’re going to doubt something, doubt your limits. Choose to believe that everything you want is possible for you.” ~ Unknown
One of the ego’s favorite paths of resistance is to fill you with doubt.” ~ Ram Dass
Your faith can move mountains and your doubt can create them.” ~ Unknown
It’s not what you are that is holding you back. It’s what you think you are not.” ~ Unknown
Bravery is not the absence of fear. Bravery is feeling the fear, the doubt, the insecurity, and deciding that something else is more important.” ~ Mark Manson
Feed your faith and your doubts will starve to death.” ~ Unknown
Doubt is a pain too lonely to know that faith is his twin brother.” ~ Khalil Gibran
Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.” ~ Shakespeare
- The PDJ – Coming soon! The simplest, most effective personal development journal on the planet. It’s designed to help you become the person you want to be. I’ll be sharing more details on this product in the coming weeks.
Awesome Resources Created Just For You:
- Just Be It! – Improve your performance and your results in any area of your life quickly and easily!
- The Alchemy of Despair – 17 of the most effective techniques I’ve ever encountered for reclaiming your happiness!
- The Magic of Being – Teach your child how to develop their self-image in a fun, entertaining way!
Connect with me
How to review the show on iTunes – If you enjoy the podcast, it would be awesome if you’d take a minute and write a review on iTunes. To do that, just launch the iTunes podcast app on your computer or phone. Search for Enhancing The Human Experience. Select the album art for the show. Then select ratings and reviews. Then write your review. Thank you in advance, I really appreciate it!
All the best – health, wealth, and success!